How to increase typing speed without compromising accuracy?
As the title of this article suggests, I am going to throw cast on how to increase typing speed without compromising accuracy. But let’s talk about speed and accuracy for a second.
Typing speed refers to how fast you can type while accuracy means to type accurately and correct without making errors (typos). In this regard, the average typing speed is around 35 to 40 words per minute for an average typist. Stella Pajunas is the one who holds the record of the fastest typing speed with 216 words per minute.
Likewise, an average typist can achieve 92% accuracy for a chunk of 100 words with the relaxation of 8 mistakes. However, the desired accuracy for an experienced typist is approximately 97% or higher in some rare cases. This says it all that typing fast should not always be the priority by compromising the accuracy in the process of typing but one should always focus on faster and accurate typing.
You can read more about the importance of accuracy in the post: Speed or Accuracy
Guide to increase Typing Speed with Accuracy
Here is the complete guide for achieving faster and accurate typing speed. By following the given steps, you will be able to increase your typing speed without compromising accuracy.
1. Revamp the way you type
If you are into increasing your speed with accuracy, then the first step should be reconsidering the technique of typing. The posture which you adopt while typing decides everything necessary for typing speed with accuracy. A good posture for sitting is very necessary not only for typing speed, but also to avoid disorders. A proper upright is a position that is good for typing speed in which your back does not lean forward.
The position of wrist and elbows also works as a complement in typing faster and accurately. It is very important to keep the angle of your elbows right to the keyboard. There should be no bending in your arms.
2. Best Keyboard to increase typing speed and accuracy
To increase typing speed and accuracy concurrently, get yourself a comfortable keyboard. A comfortable keyboard has soft keys and is easy to press. Logitech G51, Rosewill K51, Azio Vision, Razer Ornata, and DAS 4 are few to name as comfortable keyboards with 104 keys. They never stuck but instead bounced back on every keystroke, making typing a whole new adventure. The Logitech G51 is commonly used for all-day extended typing.
3. Position of Fingers
In addition to the posture of your body, it is very important to keep the positions of your fingers right for typing faster. Some of the critical steps which are necessary to follow for maintaining proper positioning of fingers are listed below:
- Pinky finger of the left hand must be placed on ‘A’ key and all the keys to the left of it must be handled by the same finger.
- Colon and semi-colon key and all the keys to the right of it must be managed with pinky finger key of the right hand.
- Reserve your thumb for the Spacebar.
- The right, middle, and the index finger of the left hand must be placed on the like S, D, and F, respectively.
- The ring, middle, and the index finger of the right hand must assist keys like L, K, and J respectively.
4. Eyes Off from the keyboard
If you want to increase your typing speed without compromising accuracy, then stick to type without looking at the keyboard for the rest of your typing career. Our mind is extremely powerful and tempting which always draws our attention towards the sub-conscious mind. But we can control our sub-conscious mind by typing daily. If we keep typing daily for some time, then it will automatically reduce the habit of looking at the keyboard sub-consciously.
You will be more inclined towards errors if you keep on looking at the keyboard while typing. Looking away from the keyboard while typing will not only increase the speed of typing but it will be extremely handy in achieving your desired accuracy which leads to saving your time.
5. Slow down typing speed temporarily to gain accuracy
If you cannot achieve a certain level of typing accuracy, slow down speed for a while. Now try your best to type as accurately as you can. Once you have gained the accuracy, you could go for speed. This way you can perform best in speed and accuracy at the same time.
6. Cut your nails
Long nails are not only bad for health but also prevents a typist to increase speed and accuracy. Having long nails cause you to hit the wrong key and stop the smooth flow of fingers running over the keyboard. Trim your nails frequently for example, once or twice a week – so that they do not disturb your typing experience.
7. Online Tools for Faster Typing Speed and Accuracy
While you can increase typing speed and accuracy by practicing daily, there are some other options as well which can be extremely handy in typing faster and accurately.
- Check your typing speed and accuracy by using any of the online typing test tools available on the Internet. Here is our dedicated page (https://www.typing12.com/typing-speed-test) to check typing speed, along with accuracy within 1 minute. Additionally, the typing speed test also detects errors made during the test and generate a report at the end of the test.
- There are several user-friendly software available online which can be extremely helpful. Some of the very best and trusted ones are https://typing.com and https://rapidtyping.com.
- You can also opt for a typing book to speed up typing and accuracy. “Learn Touch Typing in 12 Simple Lessons’’ is the best option for book lovers. It has a complete guide on touch typing in the form of chapters that cover all the aspects of keys and typing speed with accuracy.
8. Type more often
Another easy and compatible way of typing faster and jumping to required accurately is to type daily and often. Typing daily can be extremely helpful in increasing and improving typing speed with accuracy.
An essential part of increasing typing speed with accuracy is always possible through rigorous patience, persistence, dedication, and hard work. Do not expect that things will come easily towards your way.
Keep on doing typing practice sessions daily at your home or workplace in free time and you will see a significant increase in typing speed without compromising accuracy.
If you are looking to increase typing speed without compromising accuracy, this article is the best guide. While aiming at typing speed, there are some techniques that you can practice without any cost, like cutting your nails, eyes off the keyboard, position of fingers, and daily typing drills. But there is some course of action that needs a lot of attention and can be extravagant like online tools and suitable keyboards. At the end of the day, it is just about being patient and persistent.